Volunteering at our summer camp sessions can be an extraordinarily rewarding experience! Each year, Camp Ten Trees selects a team of enthusiastic, skilled, and youth-focused volunteers to serve as cabin counselors, specialists, health & wellness providers, kitchen crew, etc.
All volunteers will complete an application process, provide references, submit to a background check, and attend volunteer training from August 4th or 5th through the 8th, in addition to residency at camp for at least one session (August 13-19 and/or August 20-26).
If you’re interested in learning about possible roles, here is an overview of last year’s roles: Summer Camp Volunteer Roles 2016.
If you are ready to register, click HERE. If you are new to Camp Ten Trees, you’ll need to first create a profile with your information before you can “register” as a volunteer. This will start the volunteer application process.
If you can’t come to summer camp but still want to be involved, here is a list of shorter options:
- Camper Check In and Check Out Team
- On the first and last days of each camp session, we need a team of a dozen or so volunteers to meet at a location in Seattle to sort luggage, handle paperwork, and generally assist our campers as they transition into or out of camp. Email Jordan at info [at] camptentrees.org for more information!
- Layover Counselor
- All of our campers go home on the morning of August 20, and we get a new set of youth on in the afternoon of August 21st. However, our Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Campers (ages 16 and 17) stay on camp between sessions, and we recruit a few volunteers to stay with them at this time. This generally involves a service project, pizza, and chill time around a campfire. Email Jordan at campdirector [at] camptentrees.org for more information!
- Volunteer at Volunteer Training
- From August 5-9, we gather our amazing summer volunteer team for an intensive training process. We also need volunteers with experience in a commercial kitchen to feed them! Folks who can facilitate a workshop or training that they think would be beneficial for our volunteers are also encouraged to reach out to us. Email Jordan at campdirector [at] camptentrees.org for more information!
Camp Ten Trees summer volunteers must have these basic qualifications:
1. Experience in working with youth and working in organized camping preferred.
2. Knowledge and willingness to learn about racism, classism, ableism, and other forms of oppression.
3. Skills and ongoing development as an advocate for and ally to children and/or youth of LGBTQA communities, including youth of color, youth with disabilities, and youth with a wide range of identities and experiences.
4. Must clear a federal background check.
5. Must be able to traverse over uneven ground.
If you’re looking for other ways to get involved, we encourage you to check out our year round volunteer opportunities.
“A million thanks to all of the Camp Ten Trees volunteers. My daughter went to your camp for the first time this summer. Camp was a very rewarding and empowering experience for her.
She had a great time and seems to have gained some new-found confidence in herself.
I am so happy we discovered your organization. Thank you!”
–JH, parent of a Camp Ten Trees Camper